The Referencing@Portsmouth interactive guide helps you to reference your sources correctly. Please read our overview page before using this service.
This site has been superceded!
The University of Portsmouth now subscibes to
for the latest in referencing advice, now including APA 7.
login by selecting 'University of Portsmouth' and entering your University login or use the VPN service.
We do still offer local support for those tricky referencing issues - see our new referencing page for more information
All Portsmouth students should now use CiteThemRight unless
- you are a full-time Masters student who is finishing your course in October 2020
- you have been told to continue using APA 6 by your lecturer.
This site will be removed from service in January 2021
or browse the Table of Contents
- To give intellectual credit to your source
- To help your reader recover your source easily
- To avoid being accused of plagiarism
- Do not list sources that are merely mentioned in the work you have seen
- Only include in your reference list what you refer to in your text
- There will not be guidance for every type or variation of a source - if you need help, contact us